OCT Certification

The OCT registration/certification process is outlined in detail within the Registration Guide for Ontario B.Ed. Graduates.

  1. Apply online to the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT)  You will receive a 6-digit registration number as soon as you submit your initial application to the OCT.  You may begin your application as early as you wish; your certification will not be completed, though, until all documents (including your B.Ed. final transcript) have been submitted.
  2. Once you have obtained your 6-digit OCT registration number, email it to Anna at zuber@uwo.ca – it is required before we can send our Faculty Report (see below) to the OCT.
  3. Arrange to have your transcripts (undergraduate plus B.Ed.) sent directly to the OCT — Western cannot send these for you. If you completed your degree(s) in Ontario, you may order your transcripts electronically via the OUAC – a link is provided within the OCT application. You may also request your transcript through your Student Center.
    • To be considered acceptable to the OCT, your B.Ed. transcript must at least reflect your “Program Completed” status (this typically happens in mid-May; we will alert you).
    • They will also accept your B.Ed. transcript once your degree has been conferred (early June). You may request this transcript any time after you have applied to graduate as long as you choose the “hold for degree conferral” option.
    • Note: If you have completed your undergraduate degree at Western (including Kings, Brescia, & Huron), your undergraduate and B.Ed. degrees will be on the same transcript. You will want to delay sending your undergraduate transcript until your B.Ed. reflects “Program Completed” to avoid making (and paying for) two orders.

4. The Faculty Report to the OCT will be submitted automatically by the Teacher Education office after successful completion of your BEd program requirements and adjudication of your grades – approximately mid-May. (Remember, we must have your 6-digit OCT number on file in order to send this!)

 The OCT also requires:

  • Copy of proof of identity (and proof of name change if applicable)
  • Original Canadian criminal record check report (must not be older than 6 months from the date the OCT receives it) Please note that the OCT has very strict requirements for the criminal record check and will not accept a check obtained for another purpose (even practice teaching/employment). Be sure to carefully review the requirements as outlined in the Registration Guide.
  • Math Proficiency Test results (successful test results will be provided automatically by EQAO)

%d bloggers like this: