AFE Proposals must be submitted for all AFEs, including faculty-arranged options!
Teacher candidates are expected to find their own Alternative Field Experience (EDUC 5025Q and EDUC 5026S) and are encouraged to use their connections, especially those built during previous practica. The first AFE must relate to your Specialty. Beyond that, let your interests guide you. This is a chance for you to try something different, to gain experiences that will bring unique perspectives into your future classrooms! Consider non-traditional classrooms, community organizations, non-profits, health care facilities, museums, government organizations.
The experience must include the following components:
- Full-time, equivalent to 6 hours per day, 5 days per week
- Valuable learning experience with substantive responsibility
- Supervisor who will guide / mentor you
- Related to your professional goals
- Related to the field of education
- Related to your Specialty (for AFE 1)
- Advanced Studies in the Psychology of Achievement, Inclusion and Mental Health – supporting mental health and inclusion in the community (ex. Special Education Resource Teachers, students with Individualized Education Plans, social services)
- Early Childhood Education – with children aged 8 and under, or their parents (ex. daycare, community centre, Montesorri school, Kindergarten classroom)
- French Education – in the field of Francophone education, or second language acquisition (ex. French first language school, FSL classroom)
- International Education – with culturally diverse groups or international curricula (ex. ELL classes, IB schools, services for newcomers to Canada)
- STEM Education – in a setting that incorporates all components of STEM (ex. schools with STEM programs, Let’s Talk Science post-secondary initiatives, science centres)
- Urban Education – with diverse groups of students, including various socio-economic, cultural, religious backgrounds, etc. (ex. schools in high density areas, social services)
Possibilities for the Alternative Field Experience are limited only by your imagination!
Many different types of placements are possible. Think about your Specialty Area, your interests and your professional goals. Consider:
- Community Placements
Here are some examples of past specialty-related AFEs…