Teacher candidates are welcomed, and encouraged, to complete an AFE placement overseas.
The Faculty of Education typically arranges several international opportunities for AFE 2, but independent international AFEs may also be completed. Teacher candidates do not have to be in the International Specialty to complete an international AFE.
Faculty-Arranged International AFEs
- These are typically arranged for AFE 2, held in April each year
- Details will be posted online here as they’re available (typically in November-January)
- Often several teacher candidates are required to make the trip feasible, and aspects such as lodging and cultural experiences will be pre-arranged
- Previous examples include China, France and South America
- The trip may be fully- or partially-funded
If you are interested in a Faculty-arranged international AFE, please reach out to the Program Coordinator at email@example.com If you have any requests regarding locations or settings we will do our best to incorporate them in our international planning.
Independently-Arranged International AFEs
We strongly encourage all teacher candidates to take advantage of faculty-arranged international AFEs. These include financial funding, vetted organizations, cultural integration, strong safety protocol and insurance policies to protect you.
- These can be arranged for either AFE 1 or 2, as long as the experience falls within the prescribed AFE time frame
- Follow the standard process for finding an AFE but beware of the quality of organizations. International sources to consider include, but are not limited to:
Western International Week – November 13 to 17, 2017
- International Fair showcasing Western organized international opportunities (like Alternative Spring Break, etc.) will be held on Wednesday, November 15, 2017
- Be sure to review these guidelines if you plan on an international experience
Go Awards – International Funding