Our weekly series of Frequently Asked Questions will be posted to TheTeacherCandidate every Friday. Subscribe to be notified of new posts.
Have your say! Submit your FAQ online here.
This week’s expert contributor:
- Katie Mentone, BEd Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Are there any scholarships for teacher candidates currently in the program?
Mentone: There are! Our teacher candidates have access to two types of awards:
- Bursaries – Awarded based on financial need. These awards typically require an application, but sometimes teacher candidates are automatically considered. There are more than 10 bursaries available specifically for teacher candidates.
- Scholarships – Awarded based on academic achievement. These funds are typically awarded based on recommendations made by instructors or associate teachers, but may require an application. There are more than 20 scholarships available specifically for teacher candidates.
In addition to the bursaries and scholarships above, there are even more awards teacher candidates may be eligible for:
- Global Opportunity Awards – awarded to a Western student participating in an international experience, valued at $1000-2000. For more information, click here. Deadline to apply is February 15, 2019.
- Trois-Pistoles, QC AFE Bursary – awarded to a teacher candidate participating in the Trois-Pistoles AFE. The number and value of the bursaries will vary. For more information, click here. Deadline to apply is February 28, 2019.
- Ray Hughes Scholarship on Innovative Practices in Violence Prevention – awarded to a preservice teacher, valued at $1500. For more information and to access the award applications, click here. Deadline to apply is March 31, 2019 at 4 p.m. Please submit applications to Susan Dale, Centre for School Mental Health at email@example.com.
- Western University Awards – a database of all awards for Western University students
- External Scholarship Databases – Yconic, ScholarshipsCanada