The Teacher Education Wellness Committee (TEWC), established Fall 2018, seeks to improve wellness for all teacher candidates, faculty and staff.
At our first event, the Teacher Wellness Conference on November 6, 2018, many of you shared your thoughts on “How Teacher Ed Can Support Wellness”…thank you for sharing your insights!
The TEWC will be prioritizing the most common suggestions first and have outlined our strategy below:
Suggestion: more wellness events
- A new Wellness section will be created on theteachercandidate.com to make wellness initiatives front and centre
- Wellness Wednesday – a new weekly series that will highlight wellness resources and tips. Subscribe to theteachercandidate.com
- Community wellness-focused events will be highlighted and shared via theteachercandidate.com and the ESC social media feeds
Suggestion: a more balanced course load / work load
- TEWC will develop an Instructor Tip Sheet to be provided to all instructors moving forward, with suggestions on how to support wellness when developing and delivering their courses, and considerations on teacher candidate workload
- In response to feedback from students, the Faculty of Education has initiated a new working group to conduct an annual review of the entire program. The Teacher Education Design Group focuses on the program as a whole, and actively seeks ways to build connections through an integration of teaching and learning experiences and topics, policy and assessment reform.
- Yes, please! The Faculty is continuing to petition Western’s central office for a coffee shop/restaurant here in the building. In the meantime, we’ll be including coffee/treats in at least one T2P session per semester. The Education Students’ Council has also recently added more microwaves to the cafeteria.
- Staff and faculty can recommend Ontario Hall’s cafeteria next door. Walk out of the Education Library, straight across the Ontario Hall courtyard and into the building. Take the elevator to floor 2 for the caf.
Suggestion: physical activity
- Several physical activity events are in-progress. Continue to watch theteachercandidate.com and the ESC social media feeds for dates and times.
We’re looking forward to improving our wellness together!
From the Teacher Education Wellness Committee