Looking to diversify your experiences, get involved in Western extracurriculars, get hands on peer-mentoring experience, and grow your resume?
Volunteer with Western’s Violence Prevention Program!
Below are some details of the program itself and the training dates:
What is the VPP program?
- The Violence Prevention Program (VPP) is an initiative jointly run by Equity and Human Rights Services at Western University and the Thames Valley District School Board (TVDSB). This program seeks to partner Western students with Thames Valley representatives to assist in delivering presentations on the topics of consent and healthy sexual relationships to high-school students.
Role of the Western Student Volunteer
- Western student volunteers will be tasked with assisting Thames Valley representatives deliver presentations on the topics of consent and healthy sexual relationships.
- The program requires high school students to be able to have honest, and sometimes difficult conversations. In this way Western peer mentors play the critical role of modelling appropriate behaviours and language, as well as helping to guide conversations, and leading critical activities throughout the presentation.
- Students are required to attend one of the two training sessions and volunteer at two of the high-school presentations. The time commitment for one facilitation is between 2.5-4 hours depending on the location of the school.
- Facilitations will typically take place in the mornings. Volunteers can choose from a number of different dates within the month of October and early November. Bus transportation will be provided to transport volunteers to and from the high-schools. If volunteers complete two facilitations, they will receive a letter of recommendation/reference from the Thames Valley District School Board for their efforts.
- Sunday, September 30th, 12:00 – 3:00 pm in SCC 3022
- Tuesday, October 2nd, 5:00 – 8:00 pm in SEB 1200
- *Volunteers must only attend one training session*
Pizza and refreshments will be provided!
Please direct all inquiries to the VPP Coordinators at email@example.com.