Power of Ideas Tour Team Member
Looking for a unique work experience? Are you interested in STEM education and inspiring Ontario youth with the fun and excitement of science? Join us this fall as we visit high schools throughout Ontario with a travelling exhibition and talk.
The Power of Ideas Tour recently toured across Canada for Canada’s 150th Birthday and visited schools in Northern Ontario this spring. We are continuing the tour to high schools across Ontario in the fall. Watch this video to get a sense of the excitement that the tour brings to a school. The tour consists of the following elements;
- Travelling Exhibition
Participants will discover the process of science through engaging hands-on, mind-expanding exhibits by having a science centre quality exhibition available to them right in their own community. A walk through this exhibition will spark curiosity, promote creativity, encourage critical thinking, celebrate collaboration and inspire exciting and more in-depth discussions of science both in the classroom and around the dinner table.
- Presentation (30 minutes)
This dynamic interactive presentation will highlight the process of science and discuss some of the cutting edge science that is happening right now.
Power of Ideas Tour staff will work over a 10 week term (September 14 – November 30, 2018*) as part of a 5 person team to support the success of the Power of Ideas tour activities at the highest levels of quality. This will involve a high level of collaboration with the Power of Ideas logistics team, and Perimeter’s Educational Outreach team to ensure the success of the tour.
Each team members’ major duties and responsibilities will include:
- Facilitation of the Power of Ideas exhibition including participation counter (demo station)
- Presentation of a 30 minute talk
- Loading and unloading of the exhibition pieces from tractor trailer
- Assembly and dismantling of the Power of Ideas Exhibition at host schools
- Assist with set up of presentation set and components
- Assist with on site troubleshooting within the exhibition
- Ensure tour schedule is maintained with dedicated check in’s with the ops/logistics manager
- Collecting, maintaining and reporting program data and metrics
- Establishes positive relationships and maintain expectations among program participants, contributors and others
- Serve as a front-line Perimeter Outreach representative among a wide variety of parties including teachers, students and community leaders
- Responsible for growing positive relationships among regional and national outreach partners
- Shared driving of an SUV
- This position requires travel (including some weekends) to locations across Ontario *dates are subject to change
- Preferred: Completion of a Honours degree, and/or Completion of Bachelor of Education and/or Science Communication Diploma
- Excellent presentation skills, bilingualism considered an asset
- Proven success working in a dynamic, fast-paced team setting
- Demonstrated achievements driving events for students, teachers, or the general public
- Ability to think critically and problem solve in unique situations
- Ability to work in a non-traditional work environment
- Ability to lift or move objects up to 50 pounds
- Must submit to a criminal abstract and vulnerable sector check
- Technical expertise not required for all team members but will be considered an asset
- Valid G Driver’s license
- First Aid training will be considered an asset
- Other duties and responsibilities as required
In addition to salary, single occupancy accommodations will be provided for travel dates, along with a per diem to offset meal costs as you travel. The team will travel in a rented SUV and are expected to share driving duties.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents will be given priority. Perimeter Institute encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including women, members of visible minorities, native peoples and persons with disabilities. Applicants who require special accommodation in order to complete their application/interview are encouraged to contact email@example.com for assistance.