“As a student who has completed the French for teaching program at Brescia University College, and attended Althouse College, I would highly recommend the Boys & Girls Club for a volunteer position. Gaining experience in the community is beneficial because it allows you to develop connections with students beyond the classroom and school environment. Personally, this experience has allowed me to better understand the support that is required to develop a well-rounded approach entered around student development. I have had the opportunities to foster and teach life skills through education, building relationships, and mentorship, to further improve student outcomes.”
– Western Teacher Candidate
Volunteer M.A.P. Program Tutor/Mentor
Division: Children & Youth Recreation
Report to: M.A.P. Coordinator & Volunteer Coordinator
Service Summary: The M.A.P. Tutor/Mentor works with students one-on-one or in small groups to tutor them in subjects, assist them in completing homework, and facilitate skill building sessions to support the development of social skills and life skills. Mentors encourage and support participants to consider their personal and career goals.
Schedule: September to June
Mondays-Thursdays, 4:00-7:00 (for tutoring grades 4-8)
Mondays-Thursdays, 4:00-8:00 (for tutoring grades 9-12)
(Individual schedules are developed in agreement with the M.A.P. program coordinators)
*The program runs out of the Boys & Girls Club of London location as well as at a few schools in the London and surrounding area
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist children/youth with homework, projects, studying for texts/exams, etc.
- Support the development and facilitation of educational and other skill building activities.
- Familiarity with subject matter being tutored and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Grade 9 or higher (for tutoring grades 4-8), Grade 11 or higher (for tutoring grades 9-12).
- Applicants 18 years of age or older must obtain a Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Speciality in a teachable field (i.e. English, Math, Science, History, French) an asset
Application Process: Submit a resume and letter of interest to Arden McClean, Manager of Program Services.