Working as a Recess Coordinator enables students to build connections with local schools and gain valuable experience working with kids by promoting their physical and social-emotional health.
“The Recess Project Canada is looking to employ two Recess Project Coordinators in London and Sarnia. These part-time positions will be from September 2018 to June 2019.
What is the Recess Project Canada?
Recess Project Canada is a partnership between universities, Canadian Tire Jumpstart, and local school boards. The goal is to promote engagement, inclusion, positive interactions, and physically active play during recess. We have designed a program that places university students in schools to provide
- More supervision
- Mix of free play to organized play
- Organized areas
- Organized equipment
- Good role models
- Scaffolding of social skills, compassion, and problem solving
What are the job duties as a Recess Coordinator?
- Organizing, training, guiding, and supervising Junior Recess Leaders during recess (indoor and outdoor);
- Organizing and supervising university volunteers during recess;
- Managing equipment;
- Arranging for Zumba, Yoga, Dance, other options during recess; meeting with Regional Program Leader;
- Arranging a calendar of activities and promoting them throughout the school (assemblies, bulletin boards, in class announcements)
Minimum commitment of 6 hours per week (each recess is considered 1 hour and includes snack time, indoor/outdoor recess, and prep time).
The actual recesses can vary (e.g. every morning recess, or MWF both recesses). Flexible depending on your class schedule.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email Paige Colley with your cover letter and resume by June 15th, 2018.