If you have already completed a Bachelor of Education/Diploma in Education program but have not yet applied for certification with the Ontario College of Teachers, please note that you must be certified by September 1, 2015 to be considered under the current certification requirements. Certification requirements will change in 2015 when the province’s B.Ed./Dip.Ed. programs are lengthened to four terms.
To become certified by September 1, 2015, you must:
- Know the requirements for becoming an Ontario Certified Teacher. Read the registration guide (http://www.oct.ca/becoming-a-teacher) carefully to understand what documents must be submitted to complete your application. Common errors in documentation include:
- Criminal record reports that are expired, photocopied or missing legal names
- Documents that have not been translated according to the College’s translation policy
- Start the Ontario College of Teachers application now.
- Plan ahead. It takes time to organize all of the documents needed for a complete application. Arrange to have documents sent to the College promptly.
- Check your online application often – log in and check the status of your application regularly. A submitted application is the College’s primary communication tool to keep applicants informed of the progress of their application.
- Keep your contact information current. Make sure your mailing address, email address and phone numbers are current; the College may need to contact you about your application.